Relay for Life moved

SHARE

The Cancer Society’s Relay For Life in Ashburton has been postponed until next year, due to covid restrictions.

It was scheduled to take place at the Ashburton Domain oval on October 16, but will now be held early in 2022.

Relay For Life committee chairperson Lester McLean said the Government’s announcement earlier this week, regarding Alert Level 2 restrictions remaining in place for the South Island, meant postponement was the only possible course of action.

“While we are very disappointment that we are having to make this announcement, the reality is that large community events such as Relay For Life cannot occur with the limit on gatherings remaining at 100 people,” Mr McLean said.

The Relay for Life committee was working to confirm a new date and venue for Relay For Life next year which would be announced in the coming weeks.

“What we do know, however, is that when our community is finally able to gather to remember loved ones lost to cancer, to celebrate cancer survivors and those going through cancer currently, and to fight back against cancer by raising funds to support the Cancer Society’s work, the event will have even greater significance,” he said.

“In the meantime, of behalf of the committee, I want to acknowledge the great fundraising by all participants and encourage them to keep up their momentum over the coming months, as the Cancer Society needs your support more than ever.”